H4 Visa FAQ: Most Commonly Asked Questions Answered

h4 visa


The H4 visa is the dependent visa that attaches to the H1B visa. H1Bs are the most common nonimmigrant USA work visa available to professionals.


All types of US corporations and organizations use H1B visas, regardless of industry or job duties. As a result, foreign nationals from all over the world bring along their families under the H4 visa.


In my practice, I have had H1B families pose similar questions about the nuances of the H4. I wanted to collect these most “commonly asked questions” and compile the answers for you.


In this guide, I will explain almost everything you need to know about the H4 visa. If you have any questions, feel free to email me directly at Michael@AshooriLaw.com. I’m very responsive via email and I would be happy to help you.




1. What is an H4 Visa?


  • Privileges of the H4 Visa: Dual Intent


  • Single Intent Visa Burden


2. How Long Can I be in H4 Status For?


3. H4 Change of Status and Extensions


  • How to file an H4 Extension or Change of Status


  • If I am in a different status, such as an F-1, L-1, can I change to an H4?


  • Rule: How USCIS Will Determine if a Change of Status is Needed or Permitted


  • Are You Eligible to Change Status in the United States?


4. H4 Visas: Traveling into the United States in H4 Status from Abroad


  • Difference between Visa and Status


5. Conclusion


1. What is the H4 Visa?


The H4 visa is for immediate family members of H1B visa holders. H4 visa holders can enter the United States with their specialty occupation spouse or parent. To get an H4 visa, you need to either:


(1) apply for a change of status inside the United States (with USCIS) or


(2) through the Department of State (US consulate abroad).


Privileges of the H4 Visa: Dual Intent


The INA grants H4 nonimmigrants the privilege of a ‘‘dual intent” visa. This means that H4 holders can be the beneficiary of an I-140 (immigrant petition) filed under section 204 of the INA. Meaning, they can seek and apply for legal permanent residency. This is not true for “single intent visas” (such as the B-1/B-2, popularly known as a “tourist visa” or an F-1 “student visa”).


Single Intent Visa Burdens


With single intent visas, the applicant must show the consulate he/she has no intent to abandon his/her foreign residence. Again, this is not true for purposes of obtaining or maintaining H– 1B status. See INA 214(h); see also 8 CFR 214.2(h)(16), 9 FAM 402.10.


2. How long can I be in H4 status for?


H4 visa holders can keep their status as long as the principal (the H1B visa holder). Thus, because H1Bs have a six-year limit, H4s are held to the same amount. Fortunately, Congress created extra privileges for H1B and H4 visa holders with approved I-140s. H1B visa holders, who are the beneficiaries of certain pending or approved employment-based immigrant visa petitions or labor certification (PERM) applications, can stay inside the US beyond the six-year period of stay. This promotes H1B holder’s ability to immigrate to the United States.


Congress has not extended these benefits to other H nonimmigrants. Such as the H–1B1 (Free Trade Agreement: Chile and Singapore), H–2A (temp. agricultural workers), H–2B (temporary nonagricultural work).


3. H4 Change of Status and Extensions


If your spouse obtains an H1B visa number, remember that the H1B extension or change of status, does not automatically apply to you. To get H4 status, you must file your own application as a dependent. Here, you submit proof of the principal H1B holder's valid status and evidence of your family relationship. Note that you can also file your extension or change of status application at the along with the principle H1B application.


How to file an H4 Extension or Change of Status


When the principal H1B holder files an extension or change of status, the employer will submit a form I-129. The H1B holder’s dependents are not included in this I-129 petition.


As a dependent you will need to submit your own affirmative application with form I-539. This form allows you to “extend or change status.” Here, you will extend your status if you are already in H4 status and you need an extension. You will change status if you are in a different status, other than H4, at the time of submitting your I-539. Fortunately, you can use the same form (I-539) to either a change or extend of status.


The first dependent will submit an I-539 and any additional dependents must submit an I-539A. For example, the dependent spouse will fill out the I-539 and each of the two children will do an I-539A. Each applicant will also need to submit a check for the filing and biometric fee. Please check USCIS' website for their current fees as these are regularly updated. Note that you can submit the I-539 jointly with the I-129.


Can I change to an H4 If I am in a different status, such as an F1 or L1?


Generally, you can move from a different visa status to an H4 visa inside the United States. You need not leave the US to put this change into effect. Keep in mind that there are some limitations to this rule. You should speak with our office assure you are eligible to change status. For example, if you have a home residency requirement on your visa (these are often attached to J-1s), you may not be eligible to change status inside the United States.


Keep in mind that if you are inside the United States, whatever your status is, you must engage in activities that are consistent with that status. So, if you come in as an F-1 student you must maintain full-time academic studies. Alternatively, if you arrive with H1B status, then you must maintain employment with your H1B petitioner. Here, this employment must meet the terms outlined in the Labor Certificate Application (LCA) and I-129 application. If you switch to an H4, you must follow the rules of that visa status. The terms of an H4 include restrictions on employment without valid authorization.


Rule: How USCIS Will Determine if a Change of Status is Needed or Permitted


For the most part, USCIS will judge the primary purpose of your stay by how you spend the majority of your time.


Thus, if you are no longer pursuing L-1 or F-1 activities, you will need to file a change of status. If you choose to change status to an H4, make sure your activities are consistent with that status.


Here, you’d have two options:


(1) leave the US and apply for readmission in your new visa H4 classification. If necessary, apply for the appropriate visa. You will need to get the necessary stamping at an American consulate abroad; or


(2) apply for a change of status (COS) while you are inside the US, (note, not everyone is eligible for COS). Keep in mind changing status does not give you a visa stamp in your passport under this category. It only changes your status.


Are You Eligible to Change Status in the United States?


To determine whether you are eligible to change status - consider the following factors:

(1) your COS application’s timing;

(2) whether you’ve been maintaining valid status;

(3) whether your current status permits a change of status; and

(4) analyze the status you wish to change to.

Any of these four factors may render you ineligible to apply for a change of status. Alternatively, it may make it inadvisable to apply for one. Thus, it is important you do a careful analysis and consider all the facts surrounding your case.


4. H4 Visas: Traveling into the United States in H4 Status from Abroad


To enter the United States on an H4, you will need to fill out a DS-160. You must then pay your visa fee and schedule a visa stamping appointment at your nearby US Consulate. Once you have a valid visa you can freely travel in and out of the US in H4 Status. Even if your H4 is about to expire, you can enter the United States and remain for the duration of the I-797 approval of the H1B principal. Remember, there is a distinct difference between a visa and status.


Difference between Visa and Status




All nonimmigrants must have a visa. Visas are issue by the Dept. of State and international consulates. A visa allows you to apply for admission to the United States. Visas give you permission to approach the border. At the border, you can then ask the Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) for admission.


In some situations, an expired visa stamp may also be revalidated by CBP at an America border. Keep in mind, CBP does not issue visas. Again, this is only attainable at the consulate abroad.


Most foreign nationals seeking admission to the US, as nonimmigrants, need a visa. There are some exceptions. For example, some travelers may enter on what was known as the ‘visa waiver program’ (ESTA). Others, such as Canadian nationals, are predominantly visa exempt.




“Status” and the word “visa” are often conflated. Status is designated by CBP and the Form I-94. Form I-94 sets the terms and conditions of your presence in America.


Thus, even though your visa may expire, you could be granted status that extends the duration of your visa.


6. Conclusion


Remember, the H4 visa does not need to be a complicated process. The process may seem daunting at first. Yet, I am happy to break down legal complexities to work with you and your family. If you have any questions or need help evaluating your case, please feel free to email me directly at Michael@AshooriLaw.com. I’m very responsive via email and I would be happy to help you.

Share this post...

Based on 705 reviews
Michael and his company have helped me several times with obtaining necessary immigration documents. They are professionals in their field. Always available, they provide knowledgeable consultations... and handle everything with high quality. Many thanks for the excellent outcome. I highly recommend Michael's firm.read more
Adriana R.
I was able to get my E2 visa because of Michael Ashoori’s law firm. They were very attentive to my case and it was done in a timely manner and everything I was told was correct and accurate. My visa... was approved and I was very prepared for my appointment by the lawyer that was given to me. I would 100% recommend this firm for your immigration needs. These are definitely some of the best lawyers to work with and very knowledgeable in the immigration field. I will definitely work with them again when it’s time to renew my visa. Thank you Ashoori Law.read more
Imran M.
Ashoori Law helped me getting my L1 visa. Highly professional staff, very helpful and provide every useful information that you need. I recommend them for all your US visa needs.
Cliff F.
Anna K.
Extremely polite, patient and helpful. I found Jeser's advice to be very on point, relevant to my case and he patiently heard my case and suggested best route possible.
Hassan A.
Ashoori Law handled my IR1 immigration case. I would say that you handled it very professionally.I'm incredibly grateful for your dedication and hard work.Your guidance made my experience truly... exceptional, and I felt extremely confident during the whole process.Your ability to navigate the complexities of visa applications is impressive, and I highly recommend your services to anyone embarking on this journey.Your step-by-step guidance and availability to address concerns make the process seamless.Thank you again for your invaluable support!read more
David M.
Overall we have had a very positive experience with Ashoori Law stewarding us (myself and my fiancee) through the K1 visa application process. They were very conscientious in promptly responding to... questions and comments we had regarding the application process and application materials. My fiancee's K1 visa was approved, and she has recently joined me in the U.S. I can recommend Ashoori Law without reservations.read more
Muneer B.
I reached out to Michael Ashoori Law in March of 2024 regarding my green card renewal, within one day he replied to me and assigned me an expert to help me. Within one week I had 2 scheduled phone... calls to better understand exactly what kind of support that I need. I was assigned an expert to fill my forms and helped me file my green card renewal.What I really liked about this, that the expert explained in details about the process, how much time it might take, helped me fill the forms, most importantly answered all my questions with high concern and professionalism. Today, I recieved my physical card in the mail. Thank you Michael, Katie, Julio, and Rachel, you were great! I will definitely refer you to my colleagues and friends.Wishing Micheal Ashoori Law and his team much success.Thank you so much 🙏Muneerread more
Binsur Erin Y.
We had Ashoori law help us with our Visa application and everything went very smoothly!
Matt S.
I highly recommend Ashoori Law! They were very professional, easy to work with, and successfully helped me obtain my E2 visa. I was pleased to have been assigned to Attorney Pardeep Singh. I had a... complicated case with 2 prior refusals from another law firm. Pardeep advised me on the consequences of my immigration history, explained the requirements for my new E2 application, expertly prepared and filed my application, and thoroughly prepared me for the Consular interview.Do not make the same mistake I did and waste your time with other immigration lawyers. Ashoori Law should be your go to law firm for all your immigration needs.read more
Elyza M.
I thank Ashoori Law for taking care of our K1Visa.I would highly recommend, everything is a smooth process.Still get them to handle for our next step in the US soon..
Jenson J.
All the services for my GC application was taken care and the best part is you can reach lawyer with questions anytime, happy with the service and results
Deko E.
Ashoori Law is the best.
רותם ש.
Amazing service!!!
Priyank B.
Ashoori law is cooperative and has very good patience to handle the case, as it was difficult for us to find the business. They gave us enough time and my wife’s E2 visa approved successfully. Thanks... to the whole Ashoori laws team!!read more
Kelvin R.
I’d like to thank Ashoori Law , the whole firm and especially the lawyers and assistants that participated in my process. They were always professional , efficient, knowledgeable and helpful through... every step of the way , they always answered my questions thoroughly and made sure that there was always transparency in our communication. If ever an immigration lawyer is needed I would first and foremost suggest Ashoori Law. Thank you again.read more
Waleed S.
Michael's team is very knowledgeable.After the initial consultation, they connected me with Sergio, who is extremely communicative, and organized.The entire process was smooth, and I felt... confident that I had selected the right team.read more
Nupur D.
I used Ashoori law for my permit application. What I loved about working with them is the care that they took of me and my case. They were genuinely interested in helping me. They were responsive and... give me almost personalised attention by answering all my questions in detail.I also loved the way they manage the cases Through a dashboard where you can see the latest status of your case. It really helped me access the status of my application at any time I wanted.Their fee was very reasonable. Their understanding of the legal implications of my application was comprehensive. I intend to continue to use their services in the future. 👍read more
Ayush A.
All processes were done in a timely manner. Their communication was really good and each process was explained in depth.
Got my E2 renewed today! Happy with Ashoori Law. Thank you guys! Will use you again in the future.
Robert Hector C.
I am immensely grateful to Ashoori Law for their exceptional assistance with my E2 Investor Visa. From the very beginning, Attorney Pardeep Singh Channa demonstrated an unparalleled level of... professionalism and responsiveness. His expertise and dedication were evident throughout the entire process, ensuring that every detail was meticulously handled.Attorney Channa's commitment to his clients is truly remarkable. He took the time to explain each step, answer all my questions promptly, and provided invaluable guidance that made the entire process seamless. His professionalism and personal approach made me feel supported and confident in achieving a successful outcome.I highly recommend Ahoori Law, Michael's team and especially Attorney Pardeep Singh Channa to anyone seeking legal assistance with their visa applications. Their outstanding service and genuine care for their clients are truly commendable.I wanted to give them 10 stars, but Google has a limit to 5 stars for excellent service. So here goes their five star rating!read more
I Have excellent experience with Ashoori law firm for our E2 visa process. I would to thanks Michael & his team specially Shruti who personally handled my case and get it done . Ashoori Law you’re... exceptional, professional and knowledgeable in what you do. You answered all our questions promptly and handled all visa filings accurately and timely. We will surely recommend your service to anyone with no doubt in our minds that you will do excellent work.read more
Nicole G.
We used Ashoori law for our E2 visa process! Once we recieved our free consultation we proceeded to go with Ashoori law as they have a 98% success rate and seemed extremely knowledgeable.Ashoori law... then set us up with our attorney (Cristina Casabianca) she was absolutely amazing at communicating with us and letting us know exactly what we needed.Every step along the way was straight forward and seamless.We are happy to say that our E2 was approved!!Thank you Ashoori law for all the help.read more
Faraz H.
Thank God I found Ashoori Law as they made this difficult journey so much easier. The whole team from Michael, Matthew, Clare, Camille, and Jeser were all so kind and patient. One of the best... customer service I’ve ever came across. They were all so helpful and understanding. They all cared about my situation and helped us so much!Their service is phenomenal. They made this complicated, stressful, and overwhelming immigration paperwork so simple. All we had to do was give them our information and they took it from there. They did everything for us!Again, I cannot stress enough how caring and helpful the whole team is. Every week they would send inquiries to the embassy for us. They responded to my emails as soon as possible. They did so much for us.I will definitely worked with Ashoori Law again in the future. I hope many more people that are in my situation find Ashoori Law as well.read more
Allen G.
They were informative and very professional. Got the case done smoothly and on time. I would highly recommend Ashoori Law Firm.
What to E.
Very professional firm with attentive and honest staff. Response time was great I truly recommend!
Joao C.
I has been a client of Ashoori Law since 2019, when I needed to replace mine and my family's Green Cards as well as getting reentry renewal permits. Ashoori Law's team as whole has always provided... outstanding services, with immediate reponsiveness all times I contacted them, as well as with thorough competency and tust. Now I need a new service regarding Green Card, and I am lucky not to have to contact other firms. If you need any advice and services on immigration needs, your seek is over: just go with Ashoori!read more
vimal P.
It’s been pleasure working with you guys , you guys guide me and helped me a lot through out my E2 visa application.
David O.
Ashoori Law Firm handled my application with excellent know-how, professionalism and attention to detail. They took their time to compile all important details, full understanding on how to proceed... and filed a complete application. The outcome was approval on first attempt. Ashoori Law is highly recommended.read more
Andrisan O.
Very efficient and well organised. Will use again.
Rajesh B.
I applied my citizenship through them and they are so professional and thorough in the process. The Lawyer they assigned is great. She did all the work within couple of days and filing was done... within a week. I got my citizenship in less than 3 months without any issues. Thanks a lot for all your help. And don’t forget, the price is very reasonable compared to other in this case.read more
Hazem A.
"I feel incredibly fortunate to have come across Ashoori Law, even though they are based on the opposite coast from me. When the COVID-19 pandemic hit and everything shut down, I needed to renew my... work visa, but I wasn't sure how to proceed. That's where Ashoori Law came in - they helped me and my company decide to switch to a permanent resident visa through work. Throughout the process, Michael was always available to answer questions and provide guidance. My designated lawyer, Lorianne, was also amazing - she did everything right and made me feel like part of the family. I never hesitated to reach out to them for help, and they always found the best solution. Michael even made recommendations during the early stages of the process. Currently, we're in the process of submitting form I-140, and as usual, they're handling everything very professionally. I can't thank them enough, and I would highly recommend Ashoori Law to anyone who needs immigration support."read more
Taiwo feranmi O.
Ashoori Law you’re exceptional, professional and knowledgeable in what you do. You answered all our questions promptly and handled all our immigration filings accurately and timely. We will surely... recommend your service to anyone with no doubt in our minds that you will do excellent work.From all our family, we say “Thank you”Taiwo OYEDELEDolapo AdekoyaRound RockTexas USAread more
Roberto P.
I contacted Ashoori Law to get help with the GC re-entry permit for me and my wife. The whole procedure was pretty smooth. They are very responsive, well organized and know what they are doing.... Highly recommended. Roberto and Lauraread more
Hasnain B.
had a lovely experience with Ashoori law. They have a team of competent lawyers who guide you through every stage of your process. I highly recommend Ashoori law to people who are looking a smooth... process and a trust worthy law firm to handle their case.read more
Harim J.
This is my second time to work with Ashoori Law for my re-entry permit. I definitely recommend them as they promptly answered my emails and processed my application. I also liked that they have their... own portal system, where I could automatically track my todo list, as well as the status of my case.read more
Muhammad Qasim B.
Applied for E2 Visa and Approved from my Home Country Pakistan. A Very Professional Services, Very Good Team. I highly reccomend Ashoori Laws. We wish them best of luck for their business and their... team.read more
Excellent case description and answering questions in a friendly and supportive manner. Excellent meeting and communication skills. Really appreciated Mr. Antonio Castro for support and his skills... for client handling.read more
Mike R.
Ashoori has been very helpful in our application for my fiancée's K-1 Visa. They were great and informative in putting out application package together and have been on top of the deadlines/process... every step of the way. Would recommend Ashoori for your immigration legal needs and services.read more
Next Reviews
Michael Ashoori Headshot

Michael Ashoori, Esq.

U.S. Immigration Lawyer

I’m a U.S. immigration lawyer and I help families, professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs get visas, green cards, and citizenship to the United States.

Since starting my law firm, I’ve helped hundreds of people from all over the world with their immigration needs. I’m very passionate, hard-working, and committed to my clients.

Got a question? Send me an email.