K1 Visa Form: The 5 Forms Needed to Apply for a Fiancé Visa

K1 Visa Form


The K1 visa allows a U.S. citizen to bring their fiancé to the United States. Once in the United States, the couple can marry, and the foreign fiancé can apply for a green card.


To complete the K1 visa process, there are multiple forms that must be filed. In this guide, I’m going to list each of the forms you should know about and explain the purpose of each form.


If you have any questions, please email me directly at Michael@AshooriLaw.com. I’d be happy to answer your questions.




  1. Form I-129f


  1. Form I-765


  1. Form DS-160


  1. Form I-485


  1. Form G-28


  1. Conclusion


Form I-129F


The Form I-129F is the initial form that is filed by the U.S. citizen petitioner. This form is filed with USCIS is called the “Petition for Alien Fiancé(e).” Along with this form, it is important to include several documents proving that you satisfy the K1 visa requirements (that the petitioner is a U.S. citizen, that the parties intend to get married within 90 days of the K1 visa beneficiary’s entry to the U.S., that the parties have met in person within the last 2 years, and that both parties are free to marry). You can learn more about the Form I-129f here.


Form I-765


The Form I-765 is the Application for Employment Authorization. As a K1 visa beneficiary, you are eligible to apply for work authorization upon your arrival to the United States. You are also eligible to apply for work authorization after marrying your U.S. citizen fiancé and applying for your adjustment of status. To apply for work authorization, you file the form I-765 with USCIS. You can learn more about the Form I-765 here.


Form DS-160


The Form DS-160 is the Online Nonimmigrant visa application. After the Form I-129f is approved by USCIS, you must file the Form DS-160 to apply for your K1 visa. This Form is completed and filed by the K1 visa beneficiary (foreign fiancé). You can learn more about the DS-160 here.


Form I-485


The Form I-485 is the Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. This is the form that the K1 visa beneficiary must file after they arrive in the U.S. and marry their U.S. citizen fiancé. The purpose of the I-485 is to adjust from non-immigrant status to permanent resident status. You can learn more about the Form I-485 here.


Form G-28


The Form G-28 is the Notice of Entry of Appearance as Attorney or Accredited Representative. This form is required if you will be working with an attorney. The G-28 is signed by you and your attorney. This form allows your attorney to submit applications and petitions on your behalf. The G-28 also allows your attorney to represent you before USCIS. You can learn more about the G-28 here.




As you can see, there are many forms that are filed throughout the K1 visa process. Although the process can get tricky, I’d be happy to help you. If you have any questions, feel free to email me at Michael@AshooriLaw.com.

Share this post...

Michael Ashoori Headshot

Michael Ashoori, Esq.

U.S. Immigration Lawyer

I’m a U.S. immigration lawyer and I help families, professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs get visas, green cards, and citizenship to the United States.

Since starting my law firm, I’ve helped hundreds of people from all over the world with their immigration needs. I’m very passionate, hard-working, and committed to my clients.

Got a question? Send me an email.