L1 Visa vs. E2 Visa: How to Figure Out Which Visa is Right for You

L1 Visa vs. E2 Visa_ How to Figure Out Which Visa is Right for You


People are often unsure on whether to apply for an L1 visa or an E2 visa.  Both of these visa options can be wonderful options for investors, entrepreneurs, and business professionals.  So, in this article, we are going to give you some helpful questions to ask yourself in order to help you decide which option is right for you. 


We are Ashoori Law, led by Michael Ashoori, a U.S. immigration lawyer based in Los Angeles, California.  At our law firm we work with clients from all over the world, and we regularly post articles and videos to make sure that you are up to date with immigration news and tips.  If, after reading this article, you have more questions, then we invite you to contact us at Ashoori Law.  Feel free to call or text us at +1-818-741-1117 or you may request a free consultation by clicking this link.


The Basics of the E2 and L1 Visa


The E2 visa is an investor visa.  The way it works is that through the E2 visa, someone can invest in a U.S. business by either starting a business from scratch or purchase an existing business.  Based on making that substantial investment, the person can apply for an E2 visa to be able to live in the United States and direct and develop their business, as long as the business satisfies the E2 visa requirements.   


The L1 visa is also known as the intracompany transferee visa.  The way the L1 visa works is it allows a non-U.S. company (a company outside of the United States) to transfer a certain employee to work for a related U.S. company.  In other words, there must be a company outside of the United States, and there must be a company inside of the United States. The two companies must have some type of qualifying relationship (such as parent/subsidiary, branch office, or affiliates). Through the L1 visa, an employee – an executive, a manager, or specialized knowledge worker – can be petitioned by the U.S. company to transfer from the foreign company to the U.S. company.


Now, with that intro, let's get into the questions that will help you decide between these two visa options. 


Question One:  What’s My Country of Citizenship?


To start, you need to know your country of citizenship to see if you qualify for an E2 visa.  The E2 visa is not available to citizens of every single country.  The way the E2 visa works is that it is based on a treaty with the U.S.  In order for you to qualify or be eligible to apply for an E2 visa, you must be a citizen of a country that has an E2 treaty with the United States. Many countries do have an E2 treaty with the United States such as Germany, the United Kingdom, Pakistan, Jordan, Canada, Mexico, and the list goes on.  But, there are also a number of large countries that do not have any treaty with the United States, such as India and China. 


Thus, the very first question that you want to ask yourself is:  What's my country of citizenship, and does my country of citizenship have a treaty with the United States?  Note, if your country of citizenship does not have a treaty with the U.S., all hope is not lost.  There are ways for you to potentially obtain the citizenship of a country that does have a treaty with the United States, such as Grenada.  There are a number of people from China and India who obtain citizenship from Grenada and then apply for the E2 visa.


Question Two:  Is There a Non-U.S. Company That Satisfies the L1 Visa Requirements?


The L1 visa has some very specific requirements.  For one, there must be a foreign company that will transfer a qualifying employee to a related U.S. company.  If there is no foreign company, then an L1 visa is not the right option for you.  In addition, if you are considering an L1 visa, then you have to have worked for the non-U.S. company for one year, full-time, within the last three years before the L1 petition is filed.  Your role in the company is also important with regard to the L1 visa.  Specifically, you must have worked as either a manager, an executive, or a specialized knowledge worker. 


Another important point to keep in mind is that for the L1 visa to be a viable option, the non-U.S. company must be a decently sized company.  If the company in question is a company consisting of one person and has low revenue, then the L1 visa will likely not be a viable option.  USCIS wants to make sure that the non-U.S. company will continue to operate even when the L1 visa beneficiary comes to the United States.  If the non-U.S. company is too small, USCIS may likely have concerns that the non-U.S. company will wind down operations once the L1 visa beneficiary comes to the U.S. 


In sum, to be eligible for the L1 visa, (i) there must be a foreign company; (ii) you must have worked with the foreign company for one year, in a full-time continuous employment capacity, within the last three years; and (iii) the foreign company cannot be too small. Please note that this is not a comprehensive list of all of the L1 visa requirements.


Another point to mention here is that the non-U.S. company has to have some sort of a qualifying relationship with the U.S. company.  Some examples of qualifying relationships are: 1) parent/subsidiary; 2) branch office; 3) affiliates. In short, there must be some sort of qualifying relationship between the two companies for the L1 visa to be a potentially viable option.


Question Three:  Am I Planning on Investing Money into the U.S. Business?  How Much?


As we discussed, the E2 visa is very much based on making an investment in a U.S. business, and the investment must be considered substantial.  Now the E2 visa regulations do not necessarily specify what dollar amount is considered “substantial.”  So, technically there is no minimum investment amount.  Yet, in practice, we typically recommend that somebody should aim to invest at least $100,000 in their business or more.  While investments of less than $100,000 can qualify, investing at least $100,000 or more, gives you a better chance that your investment will be considered substantial.


How does this apply to your calculation about whether you want to pursue an L1 visa or an E2 visa?  If you are not planning on investing a substantial amount of money into the U.S. business, then you should know that the E2 visa is probably not the best option for you.

L1 Visa vs. E2 Visa_ How to Figure Out Which Visa is Right for You
Subscribe to our YouTube Channel

Question Four:  What Are My Long-Term Goals in the U.S.?


If your goal is to become a lawful permanent resident (i.e., to eventually get your green card), then you need to understand that both the L1 visa in the E2 visa are nonimmigrant visas.  That means that both of them do not directly lead to a green card.  That said, both visas can allow you to eventually transition and convert from that visa category to a green card.


There are routes for people who are on an L1 visa or an E2 visa to eventually pursue a green card.  For L1 visa holders, one common route is through a visa called the EB1C visa.  One reason for this is because the L1 visa requirements are similar to the EB1C visa requirements.  


For the E2 visa, one of the common routes to a green card is through the EB-5 visa.  EB-5 is an immigrant investor visa category that allows somebody to invest in a U.S. business, create jobs for U.S. workers, and on the basis of that investment and that job creation they could potentially qualify for their green card through the EB-5 classification.  One of the reasons why this is a popular option among E2 investors is that if an investor decides to pursue an EB-5 visa, the amount of the investment that they've already invested into their business could potentially qualify towards their EB-5 investment if certain requirements are met.




You now have four questions that you can ask yourself that will help you better understand whether the E2 visa or the L1 visa is right for you.  My name is Michael Ashoori and I'm a U.S. immigration lawyer and the founder of Ashoori Law. As an immigration lawyer, I help families, professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs get visas, green cards, and citizenship to the United States.  If you have any questions, feel free to call, text, or send a WhatsApp to +1-818-741-1117 or you may request a free consultation by clicking this link.

Share this post...

Ashoori Law
Based on 591 reviews
Jamal Albardwil
I was delighted with my experience. Mr. Ehsan Ashoori Was a professional, and free consultation meant free and informative. And he educated me on what to expect and do, the likely outcomes, and how to achieve it. I would highly highly recommend this... immigration law firm to anyone needing an immigration law firm.I wish I could give them 6 stars.100% professionals.read more
Sanjeev Bhalla
Ashoori Law is a professional law firm with a great team. We had applied for my daughter's change of status visa and they handled it pretty well and we got the status change without any difficulty. I would strongly recommend them to anyone who... wishes to engage a immigration law firm. They will do a great job as was in our case. I'd like to thank Michael and Sergio as well their entire team for the fantastic work work they did for us.read more
Graem Beddoes
Very grateful for the help and guidance in getting our E2
Carolina Marmolejo
Very proffessional law firm. My husband & I appreciated their attentive, meticulous and detailed work on our case. They always stayed communicated and responsive to us from beginning to end.
Kaveeta Ramnarine
Totally grateful to the Ashoori team for their excellent service. They are very responsive and knowledgeable, they go above and beyond for their clients.Special thank you to Attorneys Rebecca McCarthy and Ehsan Mehri for their continued support in... our process.read more
Shyam Chandrasekharan
I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for your exceptional guidance and expertise in securing my visa extension approval. Your professionalism, attention to detail, and dedication were instrumental in achieving this success. Your support and clear... communication throughout the process were invaluable. I'm deeply grateful for your outstanding work.read more
Malia Hi’ilani
Ashoori Law is a very knowledgeable and thorough law firm, with a great team. They gave me confidence in my business plan by providing a free discovery call to see if it was worth pursuing. Very personable and available for all of my questions or... concerns throughout the process. I was granted my E2 change of status successfully. I would highly recommend them for all of your immigration needs.read more
Israt Jahan
AshooriLaw is a great choice for our case.they response fast and very helpful.
Beth Jinks
Ashoori Law again handled my green card travel document renewal application professionally, and they accurately predicted the processing time. I've tackled similar paperwork alone before, but have now been working with Ashoori for about five years... because they provide peace of mind that everything is handled correctly. Highly recommend.read more
Chris Lejeune
At first I was hesitant hiring a lawyer from outside Texas that no one I knew personally dealt with however I am glad I did. These guys are very helpful and friendly. Their knowledge of my case and procedures was outstanding. 5 stars all day long.
Yuvraj Singh
I would highly recommend Ashoori law for any kind of immigration services. They are fast, their process is easy and they are professional. I would highly suggest them handle your immigration cases.
Mazen Hanana
Thank you for your amazing services as well as for your prompt response to all my queries.Your professional experience was very helpful in submitting, approving and getting my Re-entry permit
Very great! Love, love, love Ashoori Law and his team. They make you feel like family. This is the team that will definitely get the job done. Very friendly and professional!
Nyoka Bandoo
Very professional and looks out for your best interest at heart!
arsalan pervez
Hello sir u have watsap number
My wife & I recently engaged the services of Ashoori Law for Immigration services, and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with their expertise and professionalism. From the moment I contacted them, they demonstrated a deep understanding of my... case and provided insightful advice that put me at ease. Their legal team, led by Micheal, displayed an exceptional grasp of the intricacies involved in my situation. The Ashoori Law team not only guided me through the entire legal process but also took the time to answer all my questions in a clear and concise manner. Their attention to detail and dedication to my case truly set them apart. I am pleased with the overall outcome and would recommend Ashoori Law for their top-notch legal services.read more
Before contacting Michael Ashoori's firm, I had spoken to a few Immigration lawyers, NONE was as patient and responsive as Michael. His firm scheduled a call with an Attorney who turned out to be the most efficient and brilliant lawyer ever.... Stephanie DiPietro was simply amazing. The detail in her notes, cover letter and crisp responses to my plentiful enquires mostly done with a smile was always reassuring. I highly recommend this firm as they are worth much more than they charge.read more
I had an exceptional experience with Ashoori Law. I hired Ashoori Law Firm to help with my immigration process. They assigned me a dedicated legal assistant, Jeser, and an attorney, Matthew, to guide me through the process. I am truly grateful for... the responsiveness of Jeser and Matthew. They consistently answered all my questions and helped me prepare all the documents for the application. The team's friendliness and remarkable expertise stand out. I highly recommend Ashoori Law to anyone seeking legal services for immigration.read more
Anas Khan
Michael's firm has been very helpful in processing, filing and taking the Re-entry permit to its successful approval. I needed help as I had to travel due to personal emergency for an extended duration and had a lot of questions with no time to... think. They gave us time and clarified all the questions over call, email giving proper directions. Some of the videos on YouTube posted by Michael also helped me figure out that I could reach out to them to take my application forwardThanks to Matthew, Clara, Milena and all the folks who helped.read more
Alyssa Sanders
I highly recommend this lawyer for all immigration needs. They were so extremely patient with my situation and my questions, and definitely legitimately cared about the experience had with them. Immigration can be a very difficult and scary... experience and they definitely offered peace of mind. Very Affordable for the quality of services provided. I would definitely use them again in the future and recommend for immigrantion law needsread more
Fauzia Usman
Thankyou so much Michael Ashoori and your Immigration Attorney Shruti Bali and all team member to help me process me and my family case of E2 Investor Visa. It took Approx. 10 months from Ontario Canada. I Never visit IN person to this Firm,... everything deal and process online. Ashoori Law serve Great Professional Service. Highly recommend.read more
Sonia Rathour
Ashoori Law Firm has the most loyal Representatives and lawyers who really cares about their client. They always available to answer any question you have regarding your case and always give the best advise for your best.I got so lucky to have... immigration case in their Hand.read more
Dinesh Perera
I am so glad I chose Ashoori Law for my E2 process. They handled my case professionally from start to finish. My circumstances were somewhat complicated and needed special attention in order to get me across the finish line. I must state that I was... extremely fortunate to have had Shruti as my attorney handling my case. She was always very responsive to all my questions and cleared my doubts in every instance. All documents were very carefully handled by her and checked over and over again prior to submission, which i believe is the key to getting the E2 approved. Thank you Michael, Shruti and the entire team for a professional and successful job done.read more
Next Reviews
Michael Ashoori Headshot

Michael Ashoori, Esq.

U.S. Immigration Lawyer

I’m a U.S. immigration lawyer and I help families, professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs get visas, green cards, and citizenship to the United States.

Since starting my law firm, I’ve helped hundreds of people from all over the world with their immigration needs. I’m very passionate, hard-working, and committed to my clients.

Got a question? Send me an email.