Lost Green Card: How to Replace Your Lost Green Card (Step-by-Step)

Lost Green Card


As a U.S. permanent resident, you are issued a green card. The green card is your proof of lawful status as a U.S. permanent resident. This document proves your ability to live and work in the United States and so it is highly important.


So, what happens if you lose your green card?


In this guide, I’ll explain exactly how to replace a lost green card. I’ll explain what to do depending on whether your green card is lost while you are in the United States or if it is lost while you are abroad.


If you have any questions, please feel free to email me directly at Michael@AshooriLaw.com. I'm a U.S. immigration lawyer I’d be happy to help you.




  1. Lost Green Card in the United States
  2. Lost Green Card Outside of the United States
  3. Lost Green Card in the Mail
  4. Conclusion


1. Lost Green Card in the United States


Fill-Out the Form I-90


If you lose your green card while you are in the United States, the first step is to file a Form I-90 with USCIS. The Form I-90 is the Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card. This is the main form used to replace a green card if it is lost, stolen, or expired. The I-90 can be filed online or it can be physically mailed.


Include the Correct Filing Fee


Make sure to include the correct filing fee with your Form I-90. If the correct filing fee is not paid, USCIS will not accept your application. Make sure to check the current I-90 instructions, before filing your I-90, to confirm that you are paying the correct filing fee. If you have any questions, email me at Michael@AshooriLaw.com.


There are 2 fees associated with replacing a lost green card:


  • I-90 Filing Fee: $455


  • Biometrics Services Fee: $85


Include the Correct Documents with Your Application


The documents that you must submit with your I-90 will depend on your particular case. In the case of a lost green card, you should include a photocopy of the front and back of your green card that was lost. If you do not have a photocopy of your lost green card, you may be eligible to submit a photocopy of another government-issued form of identification, such as a driver’s license or the identification page of your passport.


Attend Biometrics Appointment


After you file your I-90, you will receive a notice to attend a biometrics appointment. At this appointment, you will have your digital fingerprint taken. Make sure to attend the biometrics appointment, as this is a required step to get your new green card.


How Long Until I Get My New Green Card?


Once you file the Form I-90, it takes USCIS about 6 to 10 months to process your application and issue you a new green card.


What if I Must Travel Outside of the U.S. Before Getting My New Green Card?


A common problem is that many permanent residents file their I-90 and then must leave the U.S. They do not have time to wait 6 to 10 months to receive their new green card. If you are in this position, you should make an InfoPass appointment with a local USCIS office. At the appointment, you should bring your receipt notice for the I-90 (which is proof that you have filed the I-90).


While at the appointment, you should request an I-551 stamp in your passport. The I-551 stamp is typically valid for 1-year. This stamp is temporary proof of permanent resident status for purposes of re-entering the country without a valid green card.


2. Lost Green Card Outside of the United States


If you lost your green card while outside of the United States, the procedures on what to do are slightly different. Please see below.


File Form I-131A Application for Travel Document (Carrier Documentation)


Your green card is your proof of permanent resident status which allows you to enter the United States. Without a valid green card, a transportation carrier (such as an airline) will likely not permit you to board the plane. If they did permit you to enter the plane without a valid green card, they could incur fines.


So, if you lose you green card abroad, you will need to first apply for a travel document (carrier documentation).  To do this you must file a Form I-131A in person at a U.S. consular office abroad. Before you appear at the U.S. consulate or embassy, you must submit the filing fee for the I-131A through the USCIS online payment system. The filing fee is currently $575.


Keep in mind that you can only apply for the carrier documentation in the following circumstances:


  • You are a lawful permanent resident and you are returning from temporary travel abroad of less than one year, and your green card has been lost, stolen, or destroyed; or


  • You are a lawful permanent resident and are returning from temporary travel abroad of less than two years, and your reentry permit has been lost, stolen, or destroyed.


If you have been outside of the United States for a year or longer without a valid reentry permit, make sure to contact a U.S. immigration lawyer as the steps listed above may not apply to you.


Once you receive the carrier documentation, you may use this to board a plane to reenter the United States.


File Form I-90 with USCIS


Upon returning to the United States, you should file a Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card) as specified earlier in this guide.


3. Lost Green Card in the Mail


If USCIS sent you your green card in the mail and you never received it, it may have been returned to USCIS as undeliverable. In cases like this, when certain conditions are met, USCIS allows you to file another I-90 without paying a filing fee, to receive your green card. Please email me directly at Michael@AshooriLaw.com to determine if your case fits the necessary criteria.


4. Conclusion


If you’ve lost your green card, it can be a stressful situation. However, you should know that this is quite common and that there are procedures in place to help you get a new green card. The steps you must take are different depending on if you are within the United States or if you are abroad when your green card is lost. If you are in the U.S., you must file a Form I-90 with USCIS to get a new green card. If you are abroad, you must first obtain carrier documentation before seeking entry to the U.S. Upon entry to the U.S., you should then file a Form I-90 to obtain a new green card.


If you have any questions over any of the material discussed in this guide or if you need help replacing your lost green card, please feel free to email me directly at Michael@AshooriLaw.com. I’m a U.S. immigration lawyer and I would be happy to help you.






Share this post...

Ashoori Law
Based on 591 reviews
Jamal Albardwil
I was delighted with my experience. Mr. Ehsan Ashoori Was a professional, and free consultation meant free and informative. And he educated me on what to expect and do, the likely outcomes, and how to achieve it. I would highly highly recommend this... immigration law firm to anyone needing an immigration law firm.I wish I could give them 6 stars.100% professionals.read more
Sanjeev Bhalla
Ashoori Law is a professional law firm with a great team. We had applied for my daughter's change of status visa and they handled it pretty well and we got the status change without any difficulty. I would strongly recommend them to anyone who... wishes to engage a immigration law firm. They will do a great job as was in our case. I'd like to thank Michael and Sergio as well their entire team for the fantastic work work they did for us.read more
Graem Beddoes
Very grateful for the help and guidance in getting our E2
Carolina Marmolejo
Very proffessional law firm. My husband & I appreciated their attentive, meticulous and detailed work on our case. They always stayed communicated and responsive to us from beginning to end.
Kaveeta Ramnarine
Totally grateful to the Ashoori team for their excellent service. They are very responsive and knowledgeable, they go above and beyond for their clients.Special thank you to Attorneys Rebecca McCarthy and Ehsan Mehri for their continued support in... our process.read more
Shyam Chandrasekharan
I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for your exceptional guidance and expertise in securing my visa extension approval. Your professionalism, attention to detail, and dedication were instrumental in achieving this success. Your support and clear... communication throughout the process were invaluable. I'm deeply grateful for your outstanding work.read more
Malia Hi’ilani
Ashoori Law is a very knowledgeable and thorough law firm, with a great team. They gave me confidence in my business plan by providing a free discovery call to see if it was worth pursuing. Very personable and available for all of my questions or... concerns throughout the process. I was granted my E2 change of status successfully. I would highly recommend them for all of your immigration needs.read more
Israt Jahan
AshooriLaw is a great choice for our case.they response fast and very helpful.
Beth Jinks
Ashoori Law again handled my green card travel document renewal application professionally, and they accurately predicted the processing time. I've tackled similar paperwork alone before, but have now been working with Ashoori for about five years... because they provide peace of mind that everything is handled correctly. Highly recommend.read more
Chris Lejeune
At first I was hesitant hiring a lawyer from outside Texas that no one I knew personally dealt with however I am glad I did. These guys are very helpful and friendly. Their knowledge of my case and procedures was outstanding. 5 stars all day long.
Yuvraj Singh
I would highly recommend Ashoori law for any kind of immigration services. They are fast, their process is easy and they are professional. I would highly suggest them handle your immigration cases.
Mazen Hanana
Thank you for your amazing services as well as for your prompt response to all my queries.Your professional experience was very helpful in submitting, approving and getting my Re-entry permit
Very great! Love, love, love Ashoori Law and his team. They make you feel like family. This is the team that will definitely get the job done. Very friendly and professional!
Nyoka Bandoo
Very professional and looks out for your best interest at heart!
arsalan pervez
Hello sir u have watsap number
My wife & I recently engaged the services of Ashoori Law for Immigration services, and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with their expertise and professionalism. From the moment I contacted them, they demonstrated a deep understanding of my... case and provided insightful advice that put me at ease. Their legal team, led by Micheal, displayed an exceptional grasp of the intricacies involved in my situation. The Ashoori Law team not only guided me through the entire legal process but also took the time to answer all my questions in a clear and concise manner. Their attention to detail and dedication to my case truly set them apart. I am pleased with the overall outcome and would recommend Ashoori Law for their top-notch legal services.read more
Before contacting Michael Ashoori's firm, I had spoken to a few Immigration lawyers, NONE was as patient and responsive as Michael. His firm scheduled a call with an Attorney who turned out to be the most efficient and brilliant lawyer ever.... Stephanie DiPietro was simply amazing. The detail in her notes, cover letter and crisp responses to my plentiful enquires mostly done with a smile was always reassuring. I highly recommend this firm as they are worth much more than they charge.read more
I had an exceptional experience with Ashoori Law. I hired Ashoori Law Firm to help with my immigration process. They assigned me a dedicated legal assistant, Jeser, and an attorney, Matthew, to guide me through the process. I am truly grateful for... the responsiveness of Jeser and Matthew. They consistently answered all my questions and helped me prepare all the documents for the application. The team's friendliness and remarkable expertise stand out. I highly recommend Ashoori Law to anyone seeking legal services for immigration.read more
Anas Khan
Michael's firm has been very helpful in processing, filing and taking the Re-entry permit to its successful approval. I needed help as I had to travel due to personal emergency for an extended duration and had a lot of questions with no time to... think. They gave us time and clarified all the questions over call, email giving proper directions. Some of the videos on YouTube posted by Michael also helped me figure out that I could reach out to them to take my application forwardThanks to Matthew, Clara, Milena and all the folks who helped.read more
Alyssa Sanders
I highly recommend this lawyer for all immigration needs. They were so extremely patient with my situation and my questions, and definitely legitimately cared about the experience had with them. Immigration can be a very difficult and scary... experience and they definitely offered peace of mind. Very Affordable for the quality of services provided. I would definitely use them again in the future and recommend for immigrantion law needsread more
Fauzia Usman
Thankyou so much Michael Ashoori and your Immigration Attorney Shruti Bali and all team member to help me process me and my family case of E2 Investor Visa. It took Approx. 10 months from Ontario Canada. I Never visit IN person to this Firm,... everything deal and process online. Ashoori Law serve Great Professional Service. Highly recommend.read more
Sonia Rathour
Ashoori Law Firm has the most loyal Representatives and lawyers who really cares about their client. They always available to answer any question you have regarding your case and always give the best advise for your best.I got so lucky to have... immigration case in their Hand.read more
Dinesh Perera
I am so glad I chose Ashoori Law for my E2 process. They handled my case professionally from start to finish. My circumstances were somewhat complicated and needed special attention in order to get me across the finish line. I must state that I was... extremely fortunate to have had Shruti as my attorney handling my case. She was always very responsive to all my questions and cleared my doubts in every instance. All documents were very carefully handled by her and checked over and over again prior to submission, which i believe is the key to getting the E2 approved. Thank you Michael, Shruti and the entire team for a professional and successful job done.read more
Next Reviews
Michael Ashoori Headshot

Michael Ashoori, Esq.

President of Ashoori Law

I’m a U.S. immigration lawyer and I help families, professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs get visas, green cards, and citizenship to the United States.

Since starting my law firm, I’ve helped hundreds of people from all over the world with their immigration needs. I’m very passionate, hard-working, and committed to my clients.

Got a question? Send me an email.