Why Do Visitor Visas to the U.S. Get Denied?

It is very common in our practice for clients to reach out to us because they had their visitor visa denied.   They are seeking tips on how to get their visitor visa to the U.S. approved.  Often the denial was because of something called Section 214(b).


In this article, we are going to discuss what Section 214(b) is, as well as some tips on how to get your visitor visa approved.   Then we will answer some common questions related to 214(b).  


We are Ashoori Law, led by Michael Ashoori, a U.S. immigration lawyer based in Los Angeles, California.  At our law firm we work with clients from all over the world.  We post articles and videos to make sure that you are up to date with the latest immigration news.  If, after reading this article, you have more questions, then we invite you to contact us at Ashoori Law.  Feel free to call us at +1-818-741-1117 or you may schedule a free consultation by clicking this link.


What is the Significance of Section 214(b)?


Section 214(b) of the United States Immigration and Nationality Act states that: “Every alien shall be presumed to be an immigrant until he establishes to the satisfaction of the consular officer, at the time of application for a visa that he is entitled to non-immigrant status.”


This means that the immigration officer reviewing your case is required to presume that you are an “intending immigrant.”  The officer must assume that you are coming to the United States to stay permanently, unless you convince the officer otherwise.  It is your job to prove to the officer that you are not planning on staying beyond your visit.  In other words, the burden of proof rests upon the individual seeking the visitor visa.


Most visitor visa denials fall under 214(b). This means that the applicant did not convince the immigration officer that he or she is going to leave the United States at the end of the visit.


How Do I Convince an Immigration Officer that I Do Not Intend to Stay Permanently?


With the exception of certain categories of visas (such as the H, R and L visas), most other visa applicants must be able to convince the immigration officer of the following:


  •   that you intend to return to your home country following a temporary stay in the United States; 
  •   that your financial situation is such that you can afford the trip without having to seek unauthorized employment in the United States; and 
  •   that the travel is for legitimate purposes permitted by the visa category for which you  are applying.


The law requires you to establish residence in a foreign country, which you have no intention of abandoning. You establish residence by documenting your social, family, economic and other ties to your home country.  These ties must, without question, motivate you to depart the United States at the end of your visit.


For example, you can explain to the immigration officer that you own property in your home country which you would not abandon.  Another example would be that you have a family in your home country, and that they depend on you. There is no single factor that will establish ties to your home country.  You need to explain your situation to overcome the presumption that you intend to remain in the U.S. 


Is a Denial Under Section 214(b) Permanent?


Generally, no.  An immigration officer may consider your case again if you can provide additional evidence.  An example of additional evidence might be obtaining employment in your home country, which you must return to at the end of your visit.


Note that some applicants will not be eligible for a visa no matter how many times they apply, unless they can show a change in circumstances.  Also, applicants should wait for a period of time, usually at least six months, between applying for a nonimmigrant visa. 


Are There Certain Papers that are Required to Obtain a Visitor Visa?


Beyond the appropriate application for a visitor visa, there are no set number of documents that you must bring.  In other words, obtaining a nonimmigrant visa is not about having the “right papers.”  Rather, you need to convince an immigration officer that you have sufficient ties to your home country to overcome the presumption that you intend to stay in the United States.  Thus, bring as much documentation as possible to overcome this presumption and avoid a 214(b) denial. 


Why Was My Student Visa Refused? 


For a student visa, you must show three things: (1) that you are bona fide student; (2) that you can pay for your education in the United States; and (3) that you have strong ties to your home country and, thus, intend to leave the U.S. when your education is finished.  If you have difficulty proving those three things to an immigration officer, then the officer is required by U.S. law to refuse the visa.


Can I Seek a Visitor Visa While I Have an Immigration Visa Pending?


Generally, no.  As noted above, to obtain a visitor visa, you need to show that you have no intention of staying in the U.S. permanently.  Thus, if you are also seeking permanent status in the United States, then the presumption is generally that you do intend to stay in the United States. As such, your pending application for permanent status in the U.S. will undermine any application for a visitor visa.  




Section 214(b) is typically the reason why visitor visas are denied.  Therefore, before you speak with the immigration officer, you must prepare your evidence to show that you do not intend to stay in the U.S. permanently.  


My name is Michael Ashoori and I'm a U.S. immigration lawyer and the founder of Ashoori Law. As an immigration lawyer, I help families, professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs get visas, green cards, and citizenship to the United States.  If you have any questions, feel free to schedule a free consultation by clicking this link.

Share this post...

Posted in ,
Ashoori Law
Based on 591 reviews
Jamal Albardwil
I was delighted with my experience. Mr. Ehsan Ashoori Was a professional, and free consultation meant free and informative. And he educated me on what to expect and do, the likely outcomes, and how to achieve it. I would highly highly recommend this... immigration law firm to anyone needing an immigration law firm.I wish I could give them 6 stars.100% professionals.read more
Sanjeev Bhalla
Ashoori Law is a professional law firm with a great team. We had applied for my daughter's change of status visa and they handled it pretty well and we got the status change without any difficulty. I would strongly recommend them to anyone who... wishes to engage a immigration law firm. They will do a great job as was in our case. I'd like to thank Michael and Sergio as well their entire team for the fantastic work work they did for us.read more
Graem Beddoes
Very grateful for the help and guidance in getting our E2
Carolina Marmolejo
Very proffessional law firm. My husband & I appreciated their attentive, meticulous and detailed work on our case. They always stayed communicated and responsive to us from beginning to end.
Kaveeta Ramnarine
Totally grateful to the Ashoori team for their excellent service. They are very responsive and knowledgeable, they go above and beyond for their clients.Special thank you to Attorneys Rebecca McCarthy and Ehsan Mehri for their continued support in... our process.read more
Shyam Chandrasekharan
I wanted to express my heartfelt thanks for your exceptional guidance and expertise in securing my visa extension approval. Your professionalism, attention to detail, and dedication were instrumental in achieving this success. Your support and clear... communication throughout the process were invaluable. I'm deeply grateful for your outstanding work.read more
Malia Hi’ilani
Ashoori Law is a very knowledgeable and thorough law firm, with a great team. They gave me confidence in my business plan by providing a free discovery call to see if it was worth pursuing. Very personable and available for all of my questions or... concerns throughout the process. I was granted my E2 change of status successfully. I would highly recommend them for all of your immigration needs.read more
Israt Jahan
AshooriLaw is a great choice for our case.they response fast and very helpful.
Beth Jinks
Ashoori Law again handled my green card travel document renewal application professionally, and they accurately predicted the processing time. I've tackled similar paperwork alone before, but have now been working with Ashoori for about five years... because they provide peace of mind that everything is handled correctly. Highly recommend.read more
Chris Lejeune
At first I was hesitant hiring a lawyer from outside Texas that no one I knew personally dealt with however I am glad I did. These guys are very helpful and friendly. Their knowledge of my case and procedures was outstanding. 5 stars all day long.
Yuvraj Singh
I would highly recommend Ashoori law for any kind of immigration services. They are fast, their process is easy and they are professional. I would highly suggest them handle your immigration cases.
Mazen Hanana
Thank you for your amazing services as well as for your prompt response to all my queries.Your professional experience was very helpful in submitting, approving and getting my Re-entry permit
Very great! Love, love, love Ashoori Law and his team. They make you feel like family. This is the team that will definitely get the job done. Very friendly and professional!
Nyoka Bandoo
Very professional and looks out for your best interest at heart!
arsalan pervez
Hello sir u have watsap number
My wife & I recently engaged the services of Ashoori Law for Immigration services, and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed with their expertise and professionalism. From the moment I contacted them, they demonstrated a deep understanding of my... case and provided insightful advice that put me at ease. Their legal team, led by Micheal, displayed an exceptional grasp of the intricacies involved in my situation. The Ashoori Law team not only guided me through the entire legal process but also took the time to answer all my questions in a clear and concise manner. Their attention to detail and dedication to my case truly set them apart. I am pleased with the overall outcome and would recommend Ashoori Law for their top-notch legal services.read more
Before contacting Michael Ashoori's firm, I had spoken to a few Immigration lawyers, NONE was as patient and responsive as Michael. His firm scheduled a call with an Attorney who turned out to be the most efficient and brilliant lawyer ever.... Stephanie DiPietro was simply amazing. The detail in her notes, cover letter and crisp responses to my plentiful enquires mostly done with a smile was always reassuring. I highly recommend this firm as they are worth much more than they charge.read more
I had an exceptional experience with Ashoori Law. I hired Ashoori Law Firm to help with my immigration process. They assigned me a dedicated legal assistant, Jeser, and an attorney, Matthew, to guide me through the process. I am truly grateful for... the responsiveness of Jeser and Matthew. They consistently answered all my questions and helped me prepare all the documents for the application. The team's friendliness and remarkable expertise stand out. I highly recommend Ashoori Law to anyone seeking legal services for immigration.read more
Anas Khan
Michael's firm has been very helpful in processing, filing and taking the Re-entry permit to its successful approval. I needed help as I had to travel due to personal emergency for an extended duration and had a lot of questions with no time to... think. They gave us time and clarified all the questions over call, email giving proper directions. Some of the videos on YouTube posted by Michael also helped me figure out that I could reach out to them to take my application forwardThanks to Matthew, Clara, Milena and all the folks who helped.read more
Alyssa Sanders
I highly recommend this lawyer for all immigration needs. They were so extremely patient with my situation and my questions, and definitely legitimately cared about the experience had with them. Immigration can be a very difficult and scary... experience and they definitely offered peace of mind. Very Affordable for the quality of services provided. I would definitely use them again in the future and recommend for immigrantion law needsread more
Fauzia Usman
Thankyou so much Michael Ashoori and your Immigration Attorney Shruti Bali and all team member to help me process me and my family case of E2 Investor Visa. It took Approx. 10 months from Ontario Canada. I Never visit IN person to this Firm,... everything deal and process online. Ashoori Law serve Great Professional Service. Highly recommend.read more
Sonia Rathour
Ashoori Law Firm has the most loyal Representatives and lawyers who really cares about their client. They always available to answer any question you have regarding your case and always give the best advise for your best.I got so lucky to have... immigration case in their Hand.read more
Dinesh Perera
I am so glad I chose Ashoori Law for my E2 process. They handled my case professionally from start to finish. My circumstances were somewhat complicated and needed special attention in order to get me across the finish line. I must state that I was... extremely fortunate to have had Shruti as my attorney handling my case. She was always very responsive to all my questions and cleared my doubts in every instance. All documents were very carefully handled by her and checked over and over again prior to submission, which i believe is the key to getting the E2 approved. Thank you Michael, Shruti and the entire team for a professional and successful job done.read more
Next Reviews
Michael Ashoori Headshot

Michael Ashoori, Esq.

U.S. Immigration Lawyer

I’m a U.S. immigration lawyer and I help families, professionals, investors, and entrepreneurs get visas, green cards, and citizenship to the United States.

Since starting my law firm, I’ve helped hundreds of people from all over the world with their immigration needs. I’m very passionate, hard-working, and committed to my clients.

Got a question? Send me an email.